Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Definition of Literacy

Before taking any TE classes, I would have said that literacy was being able to read and write at a socially acceptable level (i.e. well enough to get a job or read adult-level books). However, after thinking more deeply and critically about what being literate means, and especially after doing the readings for this past week, I would have said (and did say in our quick write) that literacy is the ability to read various texts and construct meaning from them, the ability to write to construct and convey meaning, as well as the ability to construct and convey meaning through the spoken word. My definition of literacy again changed during the last class, after hearing what Erin, my group members, and the rest of the class had to say. My group collaborated to come up with a working definition of literacy, which is, "being able to use reading, writing, listening, speaking skills to interact with others and participate fully in society and the environment around you." I also like what some other groups mentioned as far as literacy in terms of understanding and using body language, community signs (i.e. the bathroom), and sign language. I realize that my definition of literacy will continue to change over the course of this class and during my teaching career as I encounter all kinds of new people and literacy experiences, and I'm okay with that. As we said in class, I don't think there can be one decisive, all-encompassing definition for literacy -- it is far too complex and we would only limit it if we tried.

I think my ideal literacy learning environment would look very different depending on which grade I teach. Regardless of age, I would want a large classroom library with a variety of different text. I want my library to include a lot of books dealing with social issues, much like the ones Leland discussed in her article. I think it's so important for children to be exposed to variety of texts, topics, and issues through literature. I also want my literacy learning environment to encompass all the areas of literacy that I possibly can -- reading, writing, verbal communication, computers/internet, visual literacy, etc. I want my students to be able to experiment with all kinds of literacy. That said, I think another key elements of a literacy learning environment is a feeling of safety -- students need to know that they are in a safe environment, where they are free to communicate, express opinions, be open, and make mistakes. I believe that real learning cannot take place if students feel they are unsafe or unable to do these things. My idea of an ideal literacy learning environment is also something that will change over time as I have new teaching experiences, and it will have to be adapted based on the needs of my students at any given time. Again, this is something that I'm okay with, because I am learning that literacy is something that we as teachers must be flexible with in terms of how it looks and works in our classroom, but something we cannot compromise in terms of our standards. How we view and "do" literacy may change, but the fact that every child deserves a chance to be literate cannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment